Keeping your rental property up to date is so important as it can directly affect your real-estate business. As a landlord, it is your responsibility to manage the property maintenance. These include repairing electrical appliances, broken windows, flooring, water leakage, or other damages. To successfully manage the property, you need to stay updated and take timely action to save yourself from costly damages. In this article, we will discuss in detail the damages that your property might face:
Dripping water is one of the most common problems that landlords get complaints about. Water leakage can occur because of several reasons. These include roof damage, broken faucets, or wrongly fitted pipes. Dripping water is not only irritating, but it might cause a substantial increase in your water bills.
To avoid such damage you should replace the old cheap faucets and install premium quality ones. Keep observing roofs and walls and try to fix them if you see even a minor trace of damage that might cause water leakage. It is important to hire a professional to make such arrangements.
Other plumbing issues include:
- Leaky faucets, pipes, and other plumbing fixtures
- Buckets or hazardous plumbing used instead of making the professional repair in a timely manner
- Drainage or counterflow problems
- Water damage to walls, floors, and other apartment units
- Inadequate water pressure or temperature
- Damaged or spotted/dirty toilet seats
Electronics such as dishwashers, washing machines, and other such appliances are likely to wear out after a certain period. Sometimes you might have to replace the whole machine with a new one. Other times it might just need a little fix. Following are some of the problems that you might have to address:
- Ovens, refrigerators, and air conditioners that do not function safely or effectively
- Non-professionally supplied appliances installed or connected
- Doors of appliances do not close properly
- Gas leaks from stove or oven
Damaged Doors and Locks
Security is one of the primary concerns of your tenants. Their security is the responsibility of the landowner. So it is essential that you check each and every lock and door to ensure security. Following are some of the problems regarding doors or locks that you should address:
- Improper exterior doors (doors that are loose or allow air, water, or rodents to enter).
- Missing or broken automatic locks on exterior doors leading to the building.
- Mislaid or broken bolt locks on the entrance door to the unit.
- If things are easy to function. Doors should be easily opened from inside without special knowledge or keys.
- Broken or missing smoke gaskets on doors leading to the common hallway. (Smoke gaskets are material strips that fend off smoke from passing through openings during a fire)
Broken Electric Fixtures and Sockets
Broken electric outlets might cost you lives. So, it is essential to fix such issues immediately. You should address such problems even before marketing your property because if you market without fixing such an issue, you might lose your trust in the market. Following are some of the issues regarding electric fixtures and sockets:
- Damaged or broken electrical outlet faceplates
- Missing or non-functioning smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors
- Faulty or hanging electrical outlets, plugs, or switches
- Insufficient power service
- Bare wiring
If your property is in South Florida, it is essential to make heating arrangements properly. The proper heating system is a big plus in property especially in the areas where you rarely see the sun. Here is a list of things you need to focus on in this regard:
- Damaged or dirty radiators or baseboard heaters
Broken windows are also a great threat to security. They allow insects or other species that are a threat to your property like mice, so it is important to keep windows holes and other such issues in mind so that you might avoid getting complaints about such things. Here are some of the damages that you might have to address:
- Snapped or fractured glass
- Loose glass and clattering frames
- Inappropriate fitting of windows (fill the space around the windows)
- Dampness or signs of water damage around the frame, which may also include concerns of mustiness or related contaminated conditions
- Boisterous windows and doors without proper sealing or weather-stripping
- Single pane glass without a storm window
- Paint around the frame is swollen, fractured, flaked, scaled off, or worn out
- No screens/protection on windows
- Torn screen coating
Flaked Interior Surface
Aesthetic beauty matters a lot. Proper paint and varnishes walls attract more and more tenants. If your walls are cracked paint is loose and you do not take any timely action tenants are likely to take the lease back, which will cost you even more than the repair as it increases your vacancy rate.
Here are some of the things you need to focus on to avoid problems regarding interior surface repairs:
- Swollen, fractured, splintered, scaled, peeling, flaking, and loose paint wallpaper, or other interior finish
- Inappropriately installed or broken cabinet doors
- Water intrusion through walls, ceilings, or floors, which may also include concerns of mold or related unsanitary conditions
Pests tend to damage your property in the worst possible way. Plus, they are irritating. Pest examination is so essential to saving your property from damage. You should check every corner of the house and take measures accordingly. Hiring professional help will be the best idea if you are suffering from this problem.
Dealing with clogged toilets is quite a struggle. No tenant will tend to select such a property that has such issues, so it is important to get it checked by a plumber before you market your property.
Experienced landlords know how essential it is to maintain your property on time. It not only saves you a lot of costs but also makes your property look attractive. Hiring a professional could save you from several potential problems as they know skilled ways to manage things for you. If you are in need of a property management company that could help you going extra mile for your tenant, contact Lamar G Property On Us, today. As a friendly management company, they know how to increase tenant satisfaction.